Meet the Team, Follow Progress and Enjoy the Ride

This blog is about the lives of a few entrepreneurs who are aiming to establish the next trend in social networking and the concept that will make it happen. Since our venture is all about connecting people together, we want to be involved and connected to you and we want you to be involved and connected to us. We'll be sharing with you: who we are, how we got started, how we’re doing and where we’re going...we're taking you along for the ride!!

Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Weight of Doing Business

By weight…I mean literally, as in 15 pounds. That’s how much weight I gained starting my first business. I got out of the Marine Corps after coming back from Iraq, so I was lean and in the best shape of my life. I started my life coaching practice and found myself against a steep how-to-run-a-business learning curve, which I felt, I needed to master right away. I buried myself into reading, writing, networking and learning. I also went through a break-up about the same time. The stress, the pressure, and the sense of urgency I was feeling allowed me to justify skipping the gym and eating a whole lot of chocolate.

Since I was working mostly at home and wearing sweats or pajamas all day…I couldn’t necessarily tell just how much weight I was gaining. Eventually, it was time for me to really get out there, which meant networking in person and putting on clothes—that’s when I had to face the horror that was my new weight. Everything I owned felt tight and some clothes didn’t fit me at all anymore.

I bought some new clothes through Weekenders, which for the most part, come with elastic bands and no size designators. I was determined to get back in the gym, but just couldn’t find the motivation. Plus, I was attending all kinds of networking events with all sorts of crappy food (I mean really, are there any healthy finger food choices?), as well as, going to lunches and dinners. This only compounded the problem.

I think a lot of start-up business owners make the same mistake. We hear it all the time, that to be successful you must dedicate all of yourself to your business. We work around the clock and neglect everything else in our lives. We also get busy and grab whatever we can get to eat--when we remember to eat.

I finally got the motivation to get back into the gym when I knew my business was failing; turned out, all the sacrifices I made for it, didn’t make a lick of a difference. The other factor that really motivated me is this---and pay close attention. You are GUARANTEED RESULTS when you exercise and diet. The equation is simple. Not always easy to follow, but simple.

Discipline + Hard Work (in regards to diet and exercise) = Results.

There is nothing else in life that can provide you the same guarantees. Think about it for a second...for me, it was a slap in the face and a concept I really wanted to come home to.

I did everything I could to make my business successful and it still didn’t work out. No matter how well you follow the rules of business you are NOT guaranteed results. That really jumped-started my workouts and motivated me…I needed results somewhere in my life!!

I’ve been back in the gym and being conscious of what I eat since January. I have lost weight and inches. I’m also starting to feel pretty amazing again. I will never again place my health and well being on the back burner for any future businesses, to include, Why Go Solo.

This also applies to your loved ones, your interests, friends and family…yes, you must dedicate a lot of time and yourself into a new venture and business, but that won’t guarantee your success--you want to keep your life and have something to go back to, when it’s all said and done.

No comments: