Meet the Team, Follow Progress and Enjoy the Ride

This blog is about the lives of a few entrepreneurs who are aiming to establish the next trend in social networking and the concept that will make it happen. Since our venture is all about connecting people together, we want to be involved and connected to you and we want you to be involved and connected to us. We'll be sharing with you: who we are, how we got started, how we’re doing and where we’re going...we're taking you along for the ride!!

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Staying in Mass One More Day: Family Matters

I decided to hang out in Massachusetts one more day. It would be wrong of me to take off without seeing my brother, sister-in-law and my other nieces and nephew. I don’t plan on coming back to visit anytime soon, and once Why Go Solo takes off, who knows when I’ll be free and available again.

I was up late last night talking with one of my sisters—I don’t get to fulfill my role as the older sister very often. I left home when I was 17, she was 10 and I’ve only made quick yearly visits since then. I’ve always been very independent and therefore, to some extent, a stranger to my sisters. She listened to my “old war stories” with amazement and I got to share some of my wisdom. When I was her age, I was in charge of 40 Marines, overseas and fighting my way through a completely male dominated world. My family has no way of knowing what I’ve encountered, surmounted and survived, if I don’t tell them.

We want people, especially our families, to understand us, and for that to happen, we have to share with them who we are and who we are becoming.

I also had the opportunity to sit down and explain to my dad and step-mother what Why Go Solo is all about. My dad was slow at really understanding it. He doesn’t spend anytime on the computer or the Internet, nor does he necessarily care about meeting new people. He has a good group of friends and family, especially in Canada; he could probably run for the town Mayor and win. Thankfully, my step-mom really ‘got’ the concept of Why Go Solo right away; she could really see the multiple ways it can grow, and impact people’s lives. They’re going to watch and see what happens. They might not know everything I’m capable of doing or exactly who I am…but, they do know; I always accomplish what I set out to do and overcome whatever is thrown my way.

My step-mom has one of the most amazing Winnie the Pooh collection. She’s been collecting Winnie the Pooh collector items for over ten years. The pictures don’t even begin to give the collection justice…and the bed in the picture—that’s where I slept last night and will sleep tonight. I’m lucky I haven’t fallen off!!

No comments: