Meet the Team, Follow Progress and Enjoy the Ride

This blog is about the lives of a few entrepreneurs who are aiming to establish the next trend in social networking and the concept that will make it happen. Since our venture is all about connecting people together, we want to be involved and connected to you and we want you to be involved and connected to us. We'll be sharing with you: who we are, how we got started, how we’re doing and where we’re going...we're taking you along for the ride!!

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

If I were a DC VC...

I would have cool VC envy…seriously. I’m not jus trying to rhythm—I mean it!!I figure I would go ahead and blog today about my thoughts on this subject as well, since it’s related to starting the Club in my previous post.

I’m an avid follower of Fred Wilson’s blog AVC and Brad Feld and Jason Mendelson’s blog Ask the VC and of course every entrepreneur basically knows of/about Guy Kawasaki. There are other VCs who also get good attention…but none that I’ve come across who are in the DC, MD and VA areas (DMV). The key thing all the cool VCs have in common...is their willingness and high level of interaction with entrepreneurs, budding entrepreneurs, other investors and the general public.

The DMV has it’s share of Venture Capitalist firms—here is a list of just those in Fairfax County, VA. And it’s worth noting that a few were listed in the Entrepreneur Magazine's 7th Annual Top Venture Capital Firms for Entrepreneurs:

Of course I’d be reminisce if I didn't note that the majority of the firms in the top 100 list were in Palto, CA, Menlo Park CA, and Waltham MA.

But back to being cool…if I were a VC (first off, my life would probably be drastically different) I would aim to be one of the cool VCs who is approachable, full of good scoop, and abreast of what’s happening. Frankly, I think that’s why so many people read Fred’s blog. He knows what’s going on, he’s a cool guy who is in “the know” and loves to interact. I would be his alter ego…the cool chick VC. Yes, when I grow up I want to be Fred!!

The VCs in the DMV need to come out and play a little more…meet the entrepreneurs and the people who partake in the technology community.

I just recently received this comment (two months after the event) from Hannah Clifford of Intersouth Partners on my post about the Grubstake Breakfast

Thanks for the mention in your blog. Please say hi next time you're at an event; not all VCs bite.

The key to your success will be perseverance, self-awareness and surrounding yourself with a great team. There will be many bumps in the road; embrace the challenges and learn from them.

Good Luck!

Hannah

We all need more events in order to be able to network and say “Hi” to each other. Am I going to pitch a VC every time I see one…must definitely not. We (investors and entrepreneurs in the DMV) all need to network, keep each other abreast of what’s happening and support one another.

I’m sure many VCs in the DMV wouldn’t mind hitting the same types of homeruns Fred has habit of being involved in…if you don’t know what they are, look them up and you might want to use Del.ici.ous or Feedburner to help you (hint, hint).

The next big thing might very well be lurking in the DMV (shameless plug for Why Go Solo).

I plan on knocking on the doors of VC firms to get them involved once our Club (we'll need a name soon) is up, running, active and productive. I certainly hope they will get involved, provide feedback and education…as well as, have some fun and be a little cooler!!

No comments: